Mondelez International Health Safety and Environmental Manager in Rockford, Illinois
With our portfolio of global Power Brands such as Oreo and belVita biscuits, Cadbury Dairy Milk and Milka chocolate and Trident gum, we’re the world’s #1 in biscuits and candy, and #2 in chocolate and gum. We’re Mondelēz International , a snacking powerhouse with operations in more than 80 countries, with approximately 90,000 employees globally and our brands are marketed in around 165 countries.
Our purpose and vision is to create more MOMENTS OF JOY by building the BEST SNACKING COMPANY IN THE WORLD .
As part of Manufacturing, you’ll use your skills, our systems and a wide array of raw materials to help create the delicious finished products our consumers love. While taking ownership in your area of work, you’ll also ensure the safety of yourself and your colleagues while producing our top-quality products reliably and efficiently within our integrated supply chain.
Position Purpose Statement
Mondelez International is committed to meeting or exceeding all applicable Safety and Environmental regulations and developing and maintaining a World Class Safety culture to achieve an accident free work environment.
This position oversees both the implementation of Company Health, Safety & Environmental management systems, as well as the approach for how the Company's management systems will be executed within the facilities.
This position will provide leadership and administration to the overall HSE and Security program by developing an annual plan, achieving consensus and buy-in from site leadership against the plan, and actively driving the implementation of and monitoring progress against the plan and corresponding objectives.
Primary Accountabilities / Responsibilities Key
• Responsible for managing, coordinating and overseeing implementation of all Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) programs and processes. Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements, and Mondelēz policies and continuous improvement in key identified measures and objectives. Prepares and builds consensus annual plans for plant wide HSE initiatives, to include innovation & change management activities.
• Reports directly to the plant manager and is a member of the plant’s leadership team, participating on strategic and tactical objectives for the facility.
• Pillar lead for the HSE Element of IL6S; responsible to participate as a member of the Leadership Team element as well as building our capability for Safety through the team within his/her element.
• Plan and request capital and expense for HSE to ensure flawless execution of the HSE plan and adherence to all internal and external compliance standards.
• Drives next level thinking and continuous improvement through the pillar structure and company programs/initiatives.
• Develops performance standards and follows the PDCA approach to measure and ensure appropriate follow-ups/root cause analysis and actions to close gaps.
• Ensures appropriate risk assessments are conducted and follow ups implemented to minimize or eliminate accidents, asset losses, security breaches and environmental issues that might cause harm to one of the company’s employees, contractors, visitors, assets or reputation.
• Ensures the appropriate talent is in place through pillar work processes step-up cards, and supporting the development of future HSE pillar professionals.
• Provides linkage to the Regional function by actively participating in policy and best practice development.
Review performance in HSE and facilitates implementation corrective and preventative actions where required
• Demonstrates strong zero loss mind-set and change management skills across all functions.
• Responsible for tracking all safety and environmental KPIs
• Ensures training and coaching is taking place to ensure HSE standards and awareness are well understood throughout the plant organization. Organizes the annual HSE training plan.
• Participates in the facility’s incident investigation and root cause analysis process for safety incidents. Leads all incident investigation and root cause analysis for environmental incidents
• Coordinates, with the Quality Manager, the Global Security Food Defense program.
• Serves as the plant’s primary point of contact for all HSE regulatory and community contacts, all plant HSE teams and is the primary technical resource. Builds a network within the community / region / sector with other SSE professionals.
• Works with Worker’s Comp TPA to facilitate injury investigation and root cause analysis providing data for overall claims administration
The incumbent is required to work within the manufacturing environment of the Integrated supply chain and will be responsible for the implementation of the overall HSE program at the manufacturing facility. The size of the facility may vary depending on volume produced as well as number of employees and contractors associated with the operations. Manufacturing facilities have been classified as Large or Small based on the above criteria. It is however important to note that the complexity of implementation with respect to the implementation of the HSE management system may vary greatly depending on where the facility is at in the IL6S journey.
The location of plants may also drive complexity given that the legal requirements for HSE compliance may vary from country to country. The HSE manager must have working knowledge of country legislation and key compliance requirements. The HSE Manager may oversee a staff of compliance specialists who possess high technical capability as the subject matter expert in their respective HSE systems, standards, processes and requirements
In many plants and countries, external audits are conducted by various government functions to ensure that all compliance requirements as per country legislation are being met. The HSE manager may thus from time to time have to interact and influence government authorities and agencies during such processes.
The ongoing expansion and continuous upgrades to plants requires the use of many external companies and contractors to completed project work. This forms a key component of the HSE manager’s role in ensuring that he is able to transfer skills and manage the compliance of these organisations and individuals.
Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training
BS Degree or equivalent qualification in Engineering, Environment or Safety or related discipline- Required
Qualification in HSE management systems- Required
Qualification in applicable local HSE legal compliance- Preferred
Technical functional excellence in HSE and demonstrated thought leadership- Required
Project management skills, particularly utilizing outside engineering and/or technical resources.- Required
Demonstrated ability to build functional and plant teams and create motivational environment.- Required
Demonstrated ability to develop passion, understanding and capability for functional agenda in key reports and others in the plant.- Required
Demonstrating good process management and good pragmatic business application of systems and functional principles and standards- Required
Good ability to build relationships across the plant, the region, and also within local industry- Required
Strong change management skills- Required
Strong communication, training and presentation skills- Preferred
Good managerial courage, with appropriate priority setting and the ability to resolve conflict in progressive manner.- Required
Minimum 5 years experience as a HSE practitioner- Required
Previous experience in working in a Management role will certainly be an advantage-Preferred
Experience in Supervising or Managing people- Required
Appropriate auditing experience of HSE systems- Required
Other suitable for plant or region- Preferred
Mondelēz Global LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Applicants who require accommodation to participate in the job application process may contact 847-943-5460 for assistance.
Applicants must complete all required steps in the application process, including providing a Resume/CV, in order to be considered for this position.